- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage), chopped
- 2 bunches kale, roughly chopped with steps removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for topping
- 3/4 cup grated Jarlsberg, plus extra for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup panko
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brown sausage in a pan, then add shallots and herbs, cooking until translucent. Add kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, and set aside.
- In a medium pot or deep skillet on medium heat, melt butter and add flour. Whisk until the flour is fully incorporated. Slowly pour in cold milk and whisk vigorously, until lumps disappear. Allow to thicken. Switch to a wooden spoon, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the cheeses and stir to combine.
- Combine the sauce with the cooked sausage and kale in a casserole dish. Top with more cheese and panko. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until bubbly and the top is golden brown.