Fern Kaewtathip and Noree Pla's Chicken Pad Thai
From childhood friends in Thailand, to Luv2eat Thai Bistro restaurant owners in LA, Fern Kaewtathip & Noree Pla share the best Chicken Pad Thai you'll ever make.
CHICKEN PAD THAI
- 6 ounces pad Thai noodles
- 1/3 cup ounces tamarind sauce or white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup round large palm sugar, warmed, or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces small diced extra-firm tofu
- 5 ounces sliced chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons chopped Thai sweet radish or shallot
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- Garlic chives or green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces, as desired
- Chili flakes, as desired
- Banana leaves
- Crushed roasted peanuts
- Garlic chives or green onions
- Chili flakes
- Banana blossom
- Lime wedges
CHICKEN PAD THAI
- Soak pad Thai noodles in hot water for a few minutes. If using dried rice noodles you’ll need to soak in warm water first until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Over low heat, combine tamarind sauce (or white distilled vinegar), sugar, paprika and fish sauce. Bring to a boil then set aside.
- Warm pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and pan-fry tofu until firm and golden brown. Add chicken and radish and cook them halfway through. Add egg and cook, scrambling.
- Add the noodles and stir-fry them a bit to soften. Add freshly made pad Thai sauce.
- Once the noodles are ready, add bean sprouts, dried shrimp, green onions and chili flakes. Mix, then put on a plate with banana leaves. Serve with crushed roasted peanuts, lime wedges, chili flakes, banana blossoms, shredded carrots and cabbage.
- (Make a vegan version by omitting shrimp and chicken, and substituting soy sauce for fish sauce.)
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE