Juicy Fried Chicken Lollipops
A lesson in fried chicken by the fried chicken master himself. Howlin' Ray's Johnny Zone is frying up some lollipops & sharing all his secrets.
Alabama White Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered garlic
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 chicken wing drummettes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 ½ cup crisco
- 1 ½ cup canola oil
Alabama White Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, whisking to combine.
- On a clean surface, trim and prepare the wings. Using a small paring knife, cut along the thin end of the wing so the meat and skin are released from the bone. Push the meat down towards the fat end to create a lollipop.
- Transfer the prepared wings to a medium bowl and season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, garlic powder, paprika and 3 tablespoons seasoned flour. Mix well and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- While the wings are marinating begin preparing to fry. Place a cast iron over medium heat and begin allowing the crisco to melt down. Once the crisco is liquified you can add in your canola oil. Continue heating the oil until it reaches 330-350 degrees.
- When oil is heated to temperature begin to dredge the wings in the remaining season flour, ensuring full coverage of the meat and avoided the bone. Fry the chicken lollipops in two batches, for about 10 minutes, until the internal temperature of the meat is 165 degrees and the exterior is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with Alabama white sauce.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE