- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken, preferably dark meat
- Kosher salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 1/4 bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package 9” x 14” phyllo pastry sheets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 6 tablespoons water
- Tahini sauce
- Mixed herbs
- Edible flowers
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring to break up clumps, until chicken is browned there is no more pink, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Transfer chicken and remaining juices to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high.
- Add onion, leek, fennel, garlic, bay leaves, marjoram, mint and clove and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and its juices, plus lemon juice, zest, salt and pine nuts.
- Stir to combine and cook down until moist, but not all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a sheet of phyllo on a cutting board.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and top with a second sheet of phyllo, pressing gently to adhere.
- Brush with more olive oil.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut oiled phyllo into three 3-inch-wide strips.
- Add about 2 tablespoons chicken mixture near 1 corner of a strip on end nearest you, then fold corner of phyllo over to enclose filling and form a triangle.
- Continue folding strip, maintaining triangle shape.
- Put triangle, seam side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash and top with sesame seeds.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and mixture to make 9 pies.
- Bake pies until phyllo is golden brown and crisp, about 9 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine tahini, lemon juice and salt.
- Whisk together and slowly add water, starting with 2 tablespoons.
- Continue adding water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Plate with prepared tahini, sumac, mixed herbs and edible flowers.