Tim Hollingsworth's Fried Pickles and Homemade Ranch
Love fried pickles? Tim Hollingsworth, chef owner of Otium & champion of Netflix's Final Table, dishes up the best you may ever taste.
- 20 cucumbers
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sprigs dill
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 2 quarts distilled white vinegar
- 1 quart buttermilk, for dredging
- C.J. Boyd’s Fried Chicken Dry Mix or DIY dry mix
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
DIY Dry Mix
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons herbs and spices
- Soak cucumbers in ice water for at least 2 hours prior to pickling.
- Peel and large dice carrot. Large dice celery stalks and cut garlic head in half. Combine with olive oil to prepare mirepoix, then sweat until translucent.
- Combine and toast spices; make a sachet (using a sachet or cheesecloth and twine).
- Combine sachet, garlic, water, vinegar, sugar and salt to mirepoix and bring to a boil to make pickling liquid.
- Drain cucumbers, be sure to remove all ice, and add dill.
- Pour pickling liquid over cucumbers. Cover and let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate at least 1 week before using.
- Cut pickles into crinkle cut chips and soak in buttermilk.
- If making your own dry mix, combine flour, salt, black pepper, herbs and spices.
- Dredge pickles in dry mix or CJ Boyd's Fried Chicken Dry Mix and rest until flour is hydrated.
- Deep-fry in oil heated to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients together, serve with fried pickles and enjoy!
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE