- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 scallions, white part only, whole
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 7 to 8 tablespoons red pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan, heat oil, ginger, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, scallions, cloves, cumin and fennel on the lowest heat for 15 minutes, until scallions start to brown and oil is aromatic. Strain oil into another small saucepan.
- In a heat-proof bowl, add 7 tablespoons of the red pepper powder. Reheat oil until almost smoky and pour half of it over the pepper. Let sit for about 7 minutes. Add remaining pepper, toasted sesame seeds and Sichuan peppercorn into the bowl. Pour remaining oil into the bowl. Allow to sit for 24 hours for maximum color and flavor, but can be used after 1 hour.