- Canola oil
- 12 yellow corn tortillas
- 2 cups roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly prepared guacamole or salsa, for dipping
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, flash fry 1 tortilla at a time, about 30 seconds on each side. Transfer tortillas to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, cheese, sour cream, chipotle peppers and sauce, cilantro, lime juice and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of filling across the bottom of a tortilla, roll tightly and seal, using a toothpick. Assemble remaining tortillas and set on baking sheet.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Pan fry the taquitos, about 4 at a time, until all sides are golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Continue cooking all taquitos, adding about 1/4 cup fresh oil between batches.
- Serve immediately with fresh guacamole or salsa.