- 430ml mayonnaise
- 450g caster sugar
- 350g plain flour
- 100g cocoa
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 200ml freshly brewed coffee
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- 50g chocolate, melted
- 50g dark chocolate, grated, to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 160 C fan.
- Grease and line 2 x 20cm loose bottomed cake tins.
- Make the cake by first whisking together the mayonnaise and caster sugar. Add the dry ingredients and fold in, then pour the coffee in and stir to combine.
- Split the mixture between the two prepared tins and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely in the tins.
- When ready to serve, make the buttercream by whisking together the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl. When combined add the melted chocolate and whisk again to combine.
- Place two-thirds into a clean mayonnaise bottle.
- Place one cake onto your serving plate and add one third of the icing to the top. Spread out with the back of a spoon or a spatula and place the second cake on top. Using the mayonnaise bottle pipe little kisses on top of the cake and then finally sprinkle with grated chocolate to serve.