- Pie dough (recipe at www.pankobunny.com)
- 8 ounces high quality dark chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup whipping cream, hot
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon grand marnier (or orange juice)
- Zest from 1 small orange
- Candied Orange Peel:
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Make the pie shells: Roll the dough out onto a floured surface until it is 1/8-inch thick. Use an 11 centimeter round cookie cutter to cut out 12 rounds of dough and press them into a cupcake tin. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Make the ganache: Combine the melted dark chocolate, whipping cream, salt, grand marnier and orange zest in a bowl. Place in the fridge until chilled and thickened, about 1 hour. Beat with an electric mixer until it lightens in colour and thickens even more, but is still runny enough to pour. (Note: if you would like a more dense ganache that will hold its shape if you pipe it, beat it until still peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat, as it can become lumpy.) Set aside.
- Make the candied orange peel: Use a vegetable peeler to remove just the orange part of the peel from an orange. Slice into thin strips and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 seconds. Drain, then place in another pot with the sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the orange peel is translucent, 10-20 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cool completely.
- To assemble, spoon the ganache into the tart shells and top with a candied orange peel. If desired, return the tarts to the fridge for the ganache to continue setting. Enjoy!