- 1 pound strawberries, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 16 ounces milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/3 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder, optional
- 2 boxes vanilla wafers
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- Roughly chop two-thirds of the strawberries (1 1/2 to 2 cups). Place them in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice. Simmer over medium heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt half the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the cream and the vanilla until soft peaks form; store in the fridge.
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk eggs and sugar and place over a double boiler. Whisk constantly until the mixture has tripled in volume. Remove from heat and divide between two bowls.
- Whisk half of the egg mixture with the melted chocolate and cocoa powder. Allow to cool.
- Whisk the other half of the egg mixture with the strawberry sauce. Allow to cool.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap or use the milk carton hack.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate and egg mixture until fully incorporated, making sure not to over mix as it will deflate the whipped cream. Fold the remaining half of the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture.
- With all components ready, begin layering the ingredients into the loaf pan. Place a row of vanilla wafers in the bottom of the pan. Pour half the chocolate base into the loaf pan and tap it on the counter to level it out. Add another layer of vanilla wafers. Pour half the strawberry base and tap it on the counter to level it out. Repeat again with wafers, chocolate base and strawberry base. Smooth out the top with a rubber spatula. Freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, melt the remaining chocolate with the coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Remove the semifreddo from the freezer, invert onto a platter and remove pan and plastic wrap. Glaze with the melted chocolate. Garnish with halved strawberries, vanilla wafers and mint. Serve.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE