- 2 tins tuna in spring water, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 slices country white bread
- 6 slices vine-ripened tomatoes
- 6 thick or 12 thin cheddar slices
- Adapted from self.com
- In a bowl, combine the tuna, mayonnaise, onion, relish, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste), and mix until incorporated.
- Spread one tablespoon of butter on one side of each piece of bread, then flip the slices over so they are buttered-side down.
- Divide the tuna mixture between two slices of bread, then top with the tomato slices and cheddar. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top, buttered-side up.
- Heat a heavy cast-iron pan over low heat, and toast the sandwiches until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and toasty, 5-6 minutes per side.