- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups San Marzano canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 5 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Parmesan
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Prepare a 9x9 baking dish and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauce pot on medium heat. Add garlic and and onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, chili flakes and oregano, and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and finish with basil. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large sauté pan, and place on medium-high heat. Place a layer of zucchini in the sauté pan and brown on each side, about 1 minute per side. Remove and season with salt. Repeat until all of the zucchini are finished.
- In a casserole pan, add a layer of marinara sauce, then a layer of zucchini, another layer of sauce, then a layer of Parmesan. Repeat until all of the zucchini is used up. Top with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.