- 429 grams all-purpose flour
- 265 grams caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 375 milliliters of coconut milk
- 125 milliliters vegetable oil
- 125 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (can some substitute with sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut, to decorate
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons custard powder (you may use corn starch in it's place)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 500 milliliters coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons thickened cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 batch of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt.
- Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together).
- Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add coconut milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Add the custard powder and sugar into a large microwave safe bowl and mix with a whisk to combine.
- Slowly stir in milk while whisking.
- Microwave for 1 min at a time, mixing each time until it thickens. If you feel it's too thick add about 1/4 cup of milk and mix it in.
- Run it through a sift and add vanilla.
- Mix in well, cover with plastic wrap directly on the custard and chill for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling prepare the buttercream frosting by mixing together the frosting and coconut essence until well combined.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6B star tip. Frost in a swirl.
- Finish with a sprinkle of toasted shredded coconut.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE