Coffee Beef and Maple Slaw
Ben and Jamie make a coffee-marinated beef dish with an amazing maple coleslaw.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 kilogram beef braising steak
- 1 mug beef stock
- 2 carrots
- 1 head chicory/endive
- 1/2 small white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 portion tomato bread to serve
- Peel and dice the onion, then mince the garlic and the rosemary.
- Throw the onion, garlic, rosemary, coffee, brown sauce, tomato purée, brown sugar and dried chilli into a bowl and mix well.
- Chuck the beef into the bowl and toss it to coat all over.
- Cover the bowl and leave in the fridge for a few hours or ideally overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Place the marinated beef into a deep roasting tray.
- Pour the stock over the beef to half cover the meat, then cover the tray in foil. Stick the beef in the oven and cook for 3 hours.
- Grate the carrots, slice the endive and shred the cabbage into a bowl.
- Dollop in the mayonnaise along with the maple syrup, white wine vinegar and cumin.
- Mix the slaw well, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- Remove the beef from the oven after 3 hours and take off the tin foil.
- Turn the oven up to 220°C and return the tray to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Serve it all up when the beef is slightly blackened with a big bowl of slaw, a loaf of tomato bread and plenty of napkins!