- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tbsp of instant coffee powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pour the 2 cups of sugar in a saucepan and place it over medium heat. When it starts to melt all around the edges, give the pan a shake, leaving it on the heat. Continue to cook, shaking now and then, until the melted sugar turns to the color of dark, runny honey. This should take 5 - 10 minutes.
- Quickly pour it into the dishes, tipping it around to coat the base and sides evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Pour the milk into another pan, add the coffee and whisk. Then leave it to heat gently while you whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl. When the milk is hot, pour it onto the egg and sugar mixture, whisking until thoroughly blended.
- Then pour the liquid through a sieve into a liquid measuring cup, then divide the mixture between the caramel lined dishes.
- Place the dishes in a roasting pan.
- Transfer the pan carefully to the oven, then pour boiling water into it to surround the dishes up to two-thirds in depth. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the custard is set, then remove from the roasting pan.
- When it's completely cold, cover with cling wrap and chill for several hours in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, remove the crème caramel from the fridge then loosen around the sides with a palette knife and invert onto a serving plate.