- 1 cup water
- 56g butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 220g g all-purpose flour
- 4 egg + 1 egg white
- 250ml of skim milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 50g sugar
- 1tbsp flour
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- 185g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- sea salt
- 2tbsp instant coffee powder
- 200g white chocolate
- 100ml thickened cream
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- Bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with the wooden spoon, until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and film forms on the bottom of the pan, around 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a stand mixer and mix on low with the paddle attachment until slightly cooled, around 1 minute. Raise the speed to medium and add each egg, 1 at a time, until soft peaks form in the batter with touched with your finger. This should take around 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220C (425F) and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Fill a pastry bag with the batter and pipe out long éclair shapes about 10cm in length.
- Brush with egg wash (1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp milk).
- Place the unbaked eclairs in the oven for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until golden brown, for 25 more minutes.
- Take out the baked pastries and placed them on a wire rack to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the yolks, vanilla bean paste and the sugar.
- Coffee powder and whisk until well combined and the mixture lightens in colour.
- Add the corn flour and plain flour and stir until mixture is smooth.
- Add 1/3 of the hot milk and stir well.
- Then slowly add the rest of the milk while stirring.
- Microwave for 1 minute at a time, stirring each time until mixture thickens and becomes smooth. You should be able to run your finger along the back of a spoon and it will be thick enough to not come back together.
- Add the cold butter cubes and stir until well combined.
- Transfer custard to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or overnight to allow it to completely set.
- Add cream and coffee into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 40 seconds.
- Stir to combine until coffee is completely melted.
- Add white chocolate and microwave for 60 seconds. Mix until smooth.