- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 tablespoon gelatin powder
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- Royal icing in white and beige
- 2 egg whites, beaten until foamy
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons teaspoon water
- Brown food colouring
- Stir egg yolks with sugar until creamy and pale yellow colored. Stir in cornstarch. Gradually whisk in the warm milk until completely combined. Place the yolks mixture into a small saucepan and cook over low heat while stirring until boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and instant coffee. Let it cool. Dissolve gelatin in 2 tablespoons cold water and leave for about 5 to 10 minutes. Place coffee mixture over low heat a add in the gelatin just until it melts, then remove form heat. Whip the cold whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually incorporate into coffee mixture.
- Scoop the mousse into clear glass mugs and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- For the icing: sift powdered sugar into a large bowl. Mix in beaten eggs, and whip for 5 min until stiff. Add water until desired consistency is reached. Divide into two bowls dying one a light tan brown. Place each color in a piping bag. Pipe the top of each mug with the brown and smooth out. Then pipe in the white and use a toothpick to drag through the icing. Let set for at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving.