- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
- 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Red, green, blue, yellow gel food colours
- Edible Markers
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet in two additions. Divide dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate cookie dough for at least 20 min in refrigerator or until firm. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Generously flour work surface, and roll out cookie dough until about 1/8' thick. Cut out desired shapes and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11min or until edges are golden brown.
- Place the confectioner's sugar, meringue powder and water into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 7 minutes until the mixture is smooth and when drizzled, stays on the surface for a few seconds. If you find that the icing is too thick, gradually add a few more drops of water.
- Using a piping bag, pipe each tag in the white icing and let set completely, 1 hour. Divide the remaining icing into as many bowls as you like and dye it your desired colors. Transfer the icing to piping bags fitted with small, round piping tips. Decorate your desired shapes onto each cookie and once again let set completely.
- Using and edible marker, write names onto each tag and attached to the present.