- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil, butter or bacon grease
- 1 fried egg per person for serving
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 red chili, diced and deseeded
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- In a large bowl, mix the jalapeños, cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, oil and eggs and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Slice the cornbread and coat with honey butter, then top with a fried egg to serve.
- Cut butter into chunks and put in a bowl. Add chili, honey, cinnamon and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Roll into a log and refrigerate, or use straight away.