- 4 slices thick-cut country ham
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, as needed
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Biscuits or cheesy grits for serving
- Fried egg for serving
- Start by brewing your cup of joe. Sip and repeat until ready to get cooking!
- Using a sharp paring knife, score ham slice to prevent it from curling up in the pan.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat and cook ham until caramelized on both sides, about 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside while preparing your gravy.
- Turn heat up, pour in your coffee and bring to a boil, scraping up any bits of ham that may have accumulated on the pan. Stir in brown sugar until melted and cook until reduced in thickness.
- Serve hot, smothered on top of your choice of biscuits or grits along with your ham and fried egg.