- 3 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cut into tablespoons
- Salt and white pepper
- Prepare a medium heavy-bottomed pot with salted, cold water.
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Add to pot with salted water, and simmer until potatoes are cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, add milk to a small pot. Crush the garlic cloves and add to the milk with a bit of salt and pepper. Let infuse over low heat, about 10 minutes or longer, as long as milk isn’t scorching and doesn’t simmer or steam.
- When potatoes are done, strain, and then while still hot, pass through a potato ricer or sieve back into THE empty pot. (Do not just use a potato masher!)
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, and whisk into potatoes. Set potatoes over low heat, and slowly start adding milk through a strainer, constantly whisking. Continue to add milk and butter to achieve desired texture. Season to taste before serving.