- 5 to 7 pounds boneless pork belly, skin on
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of one lemon
- Kosher salt
- Place pork belly on large cutting board skin side up. Use a sharp knife or skewers to prick holes across the entirety of the skin. Flip the belly so flesh side is up. Score the flesh to create a diamond pattern. Season with kosher salt, pepper, fennel, red pepper, rosemary, sage, minced garlic and lemon zest. Use your hands to rub the mixture into the flesh.
- Roll belly into a tight log and tie together with twine. Refrigerate pork belly, seam-side down, uncovered for at least 4 hours to allow the skin to dry out. (This is necessary for the crackling skin.)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place pork on a v rack set in a large roasting pan. Rub kosher salt all over the pork belly skin. Roast the pork belly for 4 hours, basting with pan juices every half hour.
- After 3 hours, turn on the oven broiler and continue to roast for another 10 minutes to get that crispy skin.
- Rest crispy porchetta for 15 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife. Serve with your favorite sides.