- 8 ounces bacon, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 2, 6 1/2-ounce cans chopped clams, drained and juices reserved (should be 1 additional cup of clam juice)
- 4 medium red potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sliced chives, for garnish
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Oyster crackers, for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook while stirring until crisp. Remove to slow cooker. To the skillet, add the onion, celery, garlic and thyme. Cook while stirring until the onion is translucent. Remove to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, stir in the milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, all the clam juice, potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream to a bowl, and whisk in the cornstarch. Add mixture to the slow cooker to thicken. Stir in the clams. Cover and cook for 30 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with sliced chives and parsley, and serve with oyster crackers.