- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 1 egg, beaten (for brushing)
Compound Strawberry Butter
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- For serving:
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, whisk together bread flour, all-purpose flour, instant dry yeast and salt. Add 1/2 cup lukewarm water and knead on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Add a little more water if it has difficulty coming together.
- Add 3 1/2 tablespoons cubed butter, and knead on low for 5 to 7 minutes until incorporated. Increase speed to medium and knead for 10 to 15 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rest for 40 to 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll the dough: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and cut into 4 portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, dust dough with a little flour and roll into 1/3 inch thickness. With a pasta machine attachment on its thickest setting, feed the dough through the machine. Continue feeding it through the machine until it is very thin (about a level 5 on a pasta roller). Lay the dough flat on the counter and spread one-fourth of the the softened compound butter over the dough. Roll the dough from one small end to the other as tightly as possible. Cut it in half lengthwise. With the cut side facing out, twist it into a knot and tuck the ends underneath. Place in a buttered muffin tin. Twist the other knot. Repeat with the other 3 pieces of dough until you have 8 knots.
- Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise for 2 to 3 hours until fully doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush cruffins with egg wash, and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool.
- Assemble: Just before serving, use a paring knife to remove a small hole in the center of each cruffin. Fill with strawberry jam and top with cream filling. Dust with powdered sugar.
Compound Strawberry Butter
- Puree the strawberries using a blender or food processor. Fold into the very softened butter.
- Add sugar, vanilla and salt. Alternatively, you can pulse all together in a food processor. Set aside at room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, heavy cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Transfer to a pastry bag.