Delicious layers of citrus marinated pork roast, ham, cheese, and pickles, all in toasty bread, make this classic sandwich unforgettable.
- 3-4 pounds pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- Salt & pepper
- Sandwich fixings:
- Hero sandwich bread
- Deli-sliced ham
- sliced swiss cheese
- sliced pickles
- yellow mustard
- butter for toasting bread
- In a food processor, blend garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper, and oil.
- Cut several slits across the pork shoulder. Stuff the slits with the garlic mixture and rub it all over the meat.
- Place seasoned pork and citrus juices and red wine vinegar in a gallon freezer bag. Let sit overnight in the fridge to marinate.
- Place marinated pork in a roasting rack, with the marinade in the roasting pan.
- Roast at 450F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, loosely tent with foil, and roast at 375F for 2 hours.
- Once the pork is cooked and tender, let rest for 20 minutes, and then slice.
- Slice hero bread and butter.
- Toast in a pan until lightly golden. Smear mustard and layer roasted pork slices, ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and more mustard.
- Heat in the pan with a heavy pan to gently press the sandwich.
- Once the bread is golden and the cheese has melted, slice and serve.