Cute Critter Donuts
- 430g (15 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 265 g (91/2 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 125 g (41/2 oz/1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 375 ml (121/2 fl oz/11/2 cups) full-cream (whole) milk
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt (or sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 drops yellow food gel
- 200g dark chocolate, melted
- 200g red candy melts, melted
- 100g white chocolate, melted
Cute Critter Donuts
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 140°C (275°F) or a conventional oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Spray a donut baking tray with oil spray and set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Next, add the softened butter and mix on low speed until the mixture reaches a crumbly, sand-like texture.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, yoghurt and vanilla, and mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the side of the bowl and mix for a final 20 seconds.
- Split the batter into two mixing bowls. Add cocoa powder into one and the yellow food gel into the other. Use a spoon to mix until both are really well combined. Pipe each batter into the donut tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then allow to cool for 10 minutes before carefully turning the tray upside down onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Fit the end of three piping tips, each, with a Wilton #3 piping tip.
- Add the melted chocolates.
- Lay out a large piece of baking paper on your work bench. Pipe 2 antlers for each donut. Pipe 6 little dots of dark chocolate for each ladybug donut. To make the bee wings pipe two blobs of joined white chocolate. You’ll need two of these shapes for each bee donut.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a baking tray. Place each donut on top.
- Let’s begin with the lady bugs. Pipe the red chocolate in the middle of each chocolate donut, giving the bottom of the donuts a curve. Add the little dark chocolate dots on the red chocolate. Pipe to eyes and a smile on top of the cupcake. Insert two antlers into the top of each donut.
- To finish the bee donuts, pipe two stripes of dark chocolate on top of each donut. Pipe eyes and a smile on top of each donut.
- Allow to set completely.
- Tip the sides of the bee wings into some melted white chocolate and place on the back of each bee donut.