- 2 qt vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 1/2 cups flour, divided + more for dusting grilled cheese
- 1 bottle beer
- In a large stock pot, heat oil to 350°F, leaving space at the top to avoid overflow.
- Spread mustard on the bread slices, then place cheese on top.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter. Place bread and cheese on melted butter and cook until toasted.
- In a bowl, whisk together half the flour and the beer. Once combined, add in the rest of the flour and continue to whisk.
- Remove grilled cheese from pan and form into a sandwich. Coat with plain flour before dipping in the beer batter. Make sure sandwich is fully coated with the batter.
- Using tongs, submerge sandwich into hot oil. Deep-fry sandwich until outside is golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove and let rest for 2 minutes. Enjoy!