Deep Fried Lasagna Pockets
Think of these as adult Hot Pockets, i.e. the best idea ever!
- 2 boxes lasagna noodles, no-boil and flat
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add the beef and season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
- When the beef/sausage is fully cooked, and broken up into small pieces, add the tomato paste. Sauté until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the ricotta, shredded mozzarella and chopped basil. Mix to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, steep lasagna noodles in hot water, covered with plastic wrap for 10 minutes.
- Overlap 2 lasagna noodles on a work surface to create 1 long noodle. Drop a teaspoon of the meat mixture in the bottom right corner. Grabbing the bottom right corner of the noodle, fold up and to the left to create a triangle.
- Directly above the triangle you just created, drop a teaspoon of the ricotta mixture. Fold the first triangle up over the ricotta. Drop a teaspoon of the meat mixture, next to this triangle, and fold over once again. Drop a teaspoon of the meat mixture above this triangle, and fold up. Fold the final bit of noodle into itself to seal the pocket. Continue until all your noodles are stuffed.
- Bread the lasagna pockets in a three-part breading set up (flour, egg and Italian bread crumbs).
- Deep fry at 350 degrees for 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve with marinara.