- 2 cups cooked sushi rice, room temperature
- 2 purple carrots, halved crosswise and julienned
- 6 pencil asparagus, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 sheets nori
- 1/4 cup radish shoots (leaves with 1/2-inch stem), trimmed, or pea shoots
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Ponzu sauce, for dipping
- To blanch the carrots and asparagus: Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil. Submerge the carrots in the water and cook for 1 minute. Remove into a bowl of ice water to cool completely. Strain the carrots and pat dry. Set aside. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove into a bowl of ice water to cool completely. Strain the asparagus, pat dry and set aside.
- To prepare the rolls: Have the rice, vegetables and a small bowl of water ready. Place the nori onto a plastic-lined bamboo mat, coarse side up. Spread about 1 cup of sushi rice evenly over the nori, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the top. Dip your hands in the water to prevent the rice from sticking to them.
- Sprinkle half of the radish shoots onto the rice and gently flatten them until they adhere. Sprinkle the rice with 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds. Turn the rice-covered nori sheet over.
- Leaving a 1-inch border at the bottom and working your way up, arrange each of the vegetables in a straight line. Simultaneously fold the nori sheet and bamboo mat tightly over the vegetables. Press firmly, pulling the mat toward you and shaping into a log. Fold the nori tightly over one more time, and again use the bamboo mat to shape. Remove the bamboo mat.
- Moisten the blade of a sharp knife. Cut the sushi roll in half, then cut both halves in half. Halve the remaining rolls one more time to yield 8 pieces. Repeat with the remaining nori, rice and vegetables. Serve with ponzu sauce.