- Salted caramel sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Crème Brûlée custard:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for the top layer
- First make the caramel sauce. In a small pan on medium low heat, melt the sugar completely to an amber color, undisturbed. Whisk in butter, and then the heavy whipping cream until silky smooth. Stir in salt last.
- Pour the salted caramel sauce into a ramekin dish, coat a thin layer in the bottom of the ramekin, freeze and set aside.
- For the custard, heat up the heavy whipping cream and vanilla bean until just about to boil to infuse flavor. In another bowl, whisk egg yolk and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and slightly thick and pale in consistency. Temper the warm vanilla cream with yolk mixture with a whisk. Strain the mixture into a pourable jar.
- Slowly pour the custard into the previously frozen ramekin and bake in water bath, 300F for 25-30minutes. Let cool completely then sprinkle a layer of sugar on top, use a torch to create the crackling caramel crunchy affect. Let cool for a minute before digging into it.