- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 (15-ounce) cans roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: diced red onion, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, add beef. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the meat, until fat is rendered and beef is browned.
- Toss in the onions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Season with a large pinch of salt and pepper, and sprinkle in the spices. While stirring, toast the spices until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water and beans. Simmer on medium heat for 35 minutes, stirring on occasion, until thickened.
- Serve with chopped red onion, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.