- For the matcha mixture:
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Generous 1 tablespoon matcha powder, plus extra for dusting
- For the cream:
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon water
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- About 50 crisp Italian ladyfinger cookies
- For the matcha mixture, whisk together boiling water, sugar and matcha powder in a shallow bowl until well combined. Set aside to cool.
- For the cream, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Place egg yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and whisk on medium-low. With the mixer running, slowly and very carefully pour in the hot sugar syrup. Increase the mixer's speed to medium-high and beat until the bowl is no longer hot to the touch and the mixture has tripled in size, about 8 minutes.
- In a separate clean and chilled bowl, beat cream to stiff peaks. Add in mascarpone the yolk mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Dip both sides of each ladyfinger in the matcha mixture. Line the bottom of a 13x9x3-inch baking pan with a single layer of cookies, trimming edges of ladyfingers to fit if necessary. Spread one third of cream mixture on top. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers and another layer of cream. Dip final layer of ladyfingers in matcha and arrange over top. Spread remaining cream mixture over top, or place in a piping bag fitted with a 1-inch piping tip and decoratively pipe dollops of cream in rows to cover the top. Dust with matcha powder.
- Chill, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.