- 1 package store-bought vanilla cake mix
- Purple, pink and blue gel food coloring
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 8 to 10 sugar cones
- Round rainbow sprinkles
- Pink, purple and blue cotton candy
- Grease and line two 9-inch cake tins. Prepare cake batter according to package instructions, and divide evenly into 4 bowls.
- Add a little bit of purple, pink, and blue gel food coloring to 3 of the bowls, leaving the last one plain. Mix, and add more gel until a deep saturated shade of each color forms.
- Pour 3/4 of the purple batter into the middle of the first pan, then pour in 2/3 of the blue batter, followed by 1/3 of the white batter, and 1/4 of the pink batter. (The batters will spread out as you layer them, creating distinct circles of color.)
- Into the middle of the second pan, pour 3/4 of the pink batter, followed by 2/3 cup of white batter, 1/3 of the blue batter, and 1/4 of the purple batter.
- Bake the cakes according to package instructions. Un-mold, and allow to completely cool.
- To prepare buttercream, whisk together butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until fluffy. Slowly add cream, until the mixture is thick, smooth and spreadable.
- Trim sugar cones so that they are approximately 3 inches in height. Coat cones in buttercream, and roll in rainbow sprinkles. Place in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to set.
- Spread buttercream on one cake layer, and top with the second. Completely cover both cakes in buttercream, and spread to create a smooth surface.
- Place sugar cones evenly over the perimeter of the top layer of cake. Tear off pieces of cotton candy and cover the middle of the cake to represent a unicorn’s mane. Scatter some extra sprinkles over the top of the cotton candy, and press some along the base of the cake to create some extra drama. Enjoy!