- 1 large eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (or panko)
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 (48 ounces) jar of tomato sauce (feel free to make your own)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced into rounds
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare a baking sheet with a wire rack.
- Prepare eggplant by slicing into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
- Whisk eggs together with cool, melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Prepare breadcrumbs, mixing together with Italian herbs, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Bread eggplant starting with egg/butter mixture followed by breadcrumbs. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy.
- To assemble, slather enough sauce to cover the bottom of your casserole dish, layer with crispy eggplant (cutting to fit if necessary). Dollop more sauce on top of each eggplant slice, followed by 1 slice of mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Repeat with second layer, filling in spaces with more sauce.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil; serve hot.