- 1 eggplant
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch parsley
- Walnuts (pine nuts or cashews work too)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to broil with a rack set in the middle. (If you don't have a broiler, just turn oven on as high as it will go.)
- Cut the eggplant in half the long way and place halves skin side up on the baking sheet. Place in broiler until skin is browned, even a little burned.
- Once cooked, let cool then use a spoon to scoop out the meat of the eggplant. Discard the skin.
- In a food processor, add the scooped out eggplant, garlic, basil, parsley and nuts. Blend for a few seconds, then stream in olive oil and continue to blend until it forms a paste.
- Serve with focaccia bread, on pasta or on top of a caprese salad.