- 1/4 cup powdered custard
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 2 boiled eggs, yolks only
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 9 ounces pizza dough
- Yellow food coloring
- Candy eyes and mustaches, to decorate
- Sift the powdered custard and powdered milk, discarding any lumps.
- In a food processor, add the egg yolks, milk, powdered custard and powdered milk and blend to a smooth paste.
- Add the sugar and margarine and process until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a shallow dish, cover it with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Color the dough by kneading in the food coloring.
- Once it’s smooth and the color is fully mixed in, place dough in a covered bowl and let it rise for 1 hour or until it’s doubled in size.
- Once risen, divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Working with one piece at a time, roll each piece into a 3-inch circle.
- Scoop one tablespoon of frozen custard mixture into the middle, and seal the dough into a ball around it. Put the ball onto a small piece of greaseproof paper, seal pointing down, inside a bamboo steamer.
- Leave to rise for 30 to 45 minutes, until doubled in size again, then steam the buns over boiling water for 8 minutes.
- Let the buns stand for 2 minutes before serving, then poke with a straw to reveal the custard.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE