- 2 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Blue food colouring
- Chocolate chips
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate (recipe at www.pankobunny.com)
- Pour 1/3 cup of cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the powdered gelatin on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar and 1/4 cup cold water in a small pot and set to medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has melted.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the pot and boil the sugar until it reaches 238F. Brush the sides of the pot with a wet pastry brush if sugar crystals stick to the sides.
- Add the hot sugar to the gelatin and stir the mixture by hand whisking for a few minutes to slightly cool. Then beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 8-10 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Transfer the majority of the marshmallow to a piping bag fitted with a large, round piping tip. Dye the remaining marshmallow blue and place in a piping bag fitted with a smaller round piping tip.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pipe mounds with the white marshmallow. Stick the tip of the piping bag with the blue marshmallow slightly into the center of the white marshmallow and squeeze to create a blue center. Stick a chocolate chip pointy side-down into the center of the blue marshmallow. Allow the marshmallows to set at room temperature for 1-2 hours, or until the surface is less sticky.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar and corn starch. Transfer to a sieve and dust over the marshmallows. Gently peel them off the parchment paper and dust the bottoms in the mixture as well. Place the marshmallows in the sieve and bounce a few times to remove any excess powder.
- Serve in red velvet hot chocolate to create an even more gruesome effect!