Spiralized Zucchini Skillet Pizza
- 1 ½ pounds of spiralized zucchini (about 3 mm thick noodles)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ⅓ cup flour (optional to substitute gluten-free)
- ¼ cup cornmeal, finely ground
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- Basil, freshly picked
- 1 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups of your favorite roasted veggies (such as mushrooms, eggplant, bell peppers, caramelized onions, squash, tomatoes, corn, cauliflower or brussel sprouts)
- ½ cup pesto, for serving
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat 10-inch cast-iron pan over medium to high heat.
- In a bowl, mix together spiralized zucchini, salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, squeezing out excess water, and discarding periodically.
- To prepare crust: Mix together drained zucchini noodles, cornmeal, eggs, a half cup Parmesan and Italian seasoning. Stir to coat evenly. (If mixture is too wet, add a bit more flour or cornmeal)
- Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the pan. Pile zucchini mixture into the pan, lightly pressing with a spatula to form a circular “pizza”. Turn heat to high and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pop in the oven to cook for another 15 to 17 minutes.
- Top pizza with any mixture of toppings you’d like. Slather “crust” with sauce, then layer with a few basil leaves, slices of mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, roasted veggies and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake pizza for another 5 to 10 minutes until caramelized, bubbly and slightly crispy.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly before slicing, and serving with pesto.