Cheddarcake Warehouse Brown Bread Rolls
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (approximately 105 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Dark brown food coloring (optional, for color)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, for dusting
- 1/2 cup oats, for topping
- In a small bowl, activate yeast by mixing warm water, sugar and yeast. Allow to bloom for 5 to 7 minutes until foamy.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with the dough hook, mix bread flour, wheat flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt until combined.
- Add yeast mixture, honey and molasses. Mix on low speed until combined and dough is slightly tacky and thick. Add brown food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Increase speed to medium and knead the bread for 8 to 10 minutes until dough is slightly tacky but does not stick to the bottom of the bowl.
- Remove and transfer to a large oil lined bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Place in a warm spot and allow dough to double in size, for approximately 2 hours.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet. Place cornmeal on a large plate.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Form each piece into a mini baguette shape, approximately 6 by 2 inches.
- Dip the bottom portion of the baguette in the cornmeal and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining portions and divide the loaves in threes on each sheet.
- Gently brush the tops of the loaves with water and sprinkle with oats. Cover the loaves with a kitchen towel and allow to proof for 60 to 80 minutes until they double in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake proofed loaves for 25 to 30 minutes until the outside is golden, but soft to the touch. The internal temperature of the bread should read 190 degrees.
- Remove loaves from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating. Serve with butter.