Tortang Talong (Filipino Eggplant Omelet)
Who knew your favorite emoji could make such a great omelet?
- 2 long eggplants (Japanese eggplants)
- 1/2 pounds ground meat (chicken, pork, or beef)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs
- Soy sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for pan
- Roast or grill whole eggplants, until the skin is mostly charred and the flesh has softened.
- Allow to slightly cool, and then peel off the charred skin. Set aside.
- Chop onion, garlic, and red bell pepper.
- In a pan, heat a drizzle of canola or vegetable oil and add onion, garlic, and red bell pepper.
- Stir and cook for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the ground meat and stir occasionally, until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Working with one eggplant at a time, whisk two eggs in a shallow dish, and place the peeled eggplant on top.
- Use a fork to gently smash and flatten the eggplant.
- Pour half of the meat mixture on top and spoon some egg over the top.
- Heat oil in the same pan, and slide the eggplant, along with all the egg and meat mixture.
- Once browned on the bottom quickly flip the omelette over to cook the other side.
- Repeat with the other eggplant.
- Serve with rice or salad.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE