- 2 long eggplants (Japanese eggplants)
- 1/2 pounds ground meat (chicken, pork, or beef)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs
- Soy sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for pan
- Roast or grill whole eggplants, until the skin is mostly charred and the flesh has softened. Allow to slightly cool, and then peel off the charred skin. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat a drizzle of canola or vegetable oil and add onion, garlic, and red bell pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until softened. Add the ground meat and stir occasionally, until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Working with one eggplant at a time, whisk two eggs in a shallow dish, and place the peeled eggplant on top. Use a fork to gently smash and flatten the eggplant. Pour half of the meat mixture on top and spoon some egg over the top.
- Heat oil in the same pan, and slide the eggplant, along with all the egg and meat mixture. Once browned on the bottom quickly flip the omelette over to cook the other side. Repeat with the other eggplant.
- Serve with rice or salad.