Ben and Jamie try out a "European" trio of flatbread recipes on the rest of the group.
- 300 grams strong white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 90 milliliters warm water
- 400 grams chickpeas, drained
- 2 glugs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 handful fresh coriander, leave some to garnish
- 2 pinches salt and pepper
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 jar basil pesto
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 1 chunk Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar tomato chutney
- 1 handful black pitted olives
- 1 chunk goats cheese
- 1 sprig fresh basil leaves
- Put the flour, salt, baking powder, crushed fennel seeds and garlic powder in a bowl and mix with a fork. Make a well in the centre and pour the olive oil and water in slowly as you stir with a fork to make a dough.
- Knead with floured hands for 10 minutes until it become soft and elastic. Place into a floured bowl, cover with Clingfilm and leave for half an hour.
- Make the humus by combining all of the ingredients into a food processor and blending to a smooth consistency. Season to taste with the salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Preheat an oven to 220°C and heat up 3 baking trays.
- Peel and slice the red onion, halve the cherry tomatoes and black olives, cut the goats cheese into slices and cut the spring onion finely.
- Divide the bread dough into 3 and roll each one out onto a floured surface, into an elongated shape as thin as possible. Spread humus onto one, pesto onto another and tomato chutney the third.
- Scatter the red onion and roasted peppers onto the humus bread, arrange the halved cherry tomatoes and sliced spring onions onto the pesto base and lay slices of goats cheese and black olives onto the chutney base.
- Bake each one on a preheated baking tray for 8-10 minutes until golden all over. Finish the humus flatbread with fresh coriander, the pesto flatbread with rocket and shavings of Parmesan and the chutney flatbread with picked fresh basil leaves.
- Cut into portions and serve immediately for everybody to tuck in.