- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Cups Lukewarm Water
- 2 1/2 tsp Dried Yeast
- 50 ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp salt
- Sea salt flakes
- Rosemary Leaves
- 2 tbsp Jarred Pesto
- 6 Cherry Tomatos, halved
- Balsamic glaze
- Red Onion, thinly sliced
- Smoked Salmon
- Combine the sugar and one cup of the water. Sprinkle over the yeast and set aside for 5 minutes to let the yeast bloom and become foamy. Add remaining water, olive oil and flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until it is too difficult to stir and then use your hands to continue to mix.
- Turn on onto a floured surface and knead for 7-8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm draft free place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease a baking dish with oil. Knock back the dough and separate into thirds. Place the plain third into the dish. For the second, knead in pesto and place into the dish. For the third, place in dish and drizzle a good amount of balsamic glaze.
- Use your fingers to make deep dimples all over the surface of the focaccia. Drizzle each with olive oil. For the plain top with sea salt flakes and rosemary. For the pesto, top with halved cherry tomatoes. For the balsamic, top with red onions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Top the balsamic focaccia with smoked salmon before serving.