- 3 acorn squash
- Olive oil
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare squash: Cut each squash in half and remove pulp and seeds. Brush olive oil inside and on top. Place the 6 halves on the prepared sheet tray and set aside.
- Prepare the filling: In a medium pot, combine brown rice and water. Cook on high heat until water boils, then reduce to medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- In a nonstick pan on medium heat, saute the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until brown and crumbled. With a slotted spoon, scoop sausage into a bowl. Set aside.
- Using the same pan with the remaining oil left from sausage, add onions and saute until golden brown.
- Transfer onions to a large bowl, along with the brown rice, sausage and thyme. Mix well.
- Assemble the squash: Fill each squash with the filling until it reaches the top, then add sprinkles of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, until tender. (Squash should still hold shape but be tender enough to pierce with a fork.)
- Top with more Parmesan cheese and thyme to taste. Serve and enjoy!