Sometimes a cupcake is so much more than a cupcake, like this over-the-top, rainbow-colored concoction.
- 429 grams all-purpose flour
- 265 grams caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 375 milliliters of milk
- 125 milliliters vegetable oil
- 125 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (can substitute with sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon strawberry essence
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup confetti rainbow sprinkles (I got mine from fancysprinkles.com)
- You'll also need various other sprinkles of your choice.
- Strawberry Ganache
- 500 grams white chocolate
- 200 milliliters thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry essence
- Mini chocolate bars
- 100 grams white chocolate
- 100 grams Wilton turquoise Chocolate melts
- Mini pink sprinkles
- 1 batch fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Spray a 12 hole cake donut baking tin with oil spray. Use a kitchen brush to brush the oil. Set aside. Measurements are on my website, www.thescranline.com
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, strawberry essence and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until smooth. Scrape down the bowl, mix for a final 20 seconds before you add the confetti sprinkles. Gently fold through.
- Fill 12 cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Add batter to a piping bag and pipe batter into donut baking tin. Fill just over half way. Bake donuts for 15 min, and cupcakes for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare strawberry ganache, add white chocolate and cream into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mixing each time until smooth. Add pink food gel and strawberry essence and mix until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool at room temperature.
- To prepare the mini chocolates, add white chocolate and turquoise chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mixing each time until smooth. Sprinkles some mini pink sprinkles into the mini chocolate silicone mould followed by about 1 teaspoon of the green chocolate and use a small off set spatula to smooth it out. Chill for 10 min and carefully take out of the mould once set.
- To finish cupcakes core the centre of each one and fill with pink ganache. Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6B piping tip and frost a double donut swirl of frosting on top. Drizzle with pink ganache and add sprinkles on top. Carefully place cake donut on top and drizzle with pink ganache. Add some more sprinkles on top. Finish off with some round sprinkles in front of the donut, carefully insert the mini chocolate bar in front of the donut and finish off with some paper straws.