- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can crescent sheet or rolls
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh horseradish, grated
- 7 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 ounces roast beef deli slices
- Egg wash (1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, saute onions until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove onions from skillet and deglaze pan with beef broth, scraping up any brown bits. Add a pinch of black pepper. This liquid will be our “jus”. Allow onions to cool slightly before using.
- On the prepared baking sheet, roll out the crescent dough. Use a pizza cutter to cut 10 slits on either side of the dough. They should go about 2 inches toward the center of the dough. Spread mayonnaise along the center of the dough then sprinkle with fresh horseradish. Lay 3 pieces of Swiss cheese followed by the roast beef on top. Next, add the remaining 4 pieces of cheese and the onions. Wrap up the braid by alternating each side of the dough, laying one piece over the other to give a braided effect. Crimp to close the top and bottom of the loaf.
- Brush the entire braid with egg wash, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cut slices and serve with “jus”, or drizzle “jus” over entire braid. Enjoy!