Why go out for coconut shrimp when it's easy to make right at home?
Fried Coconut Shrimp
- For the shrimp:
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails attached
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup panko
- For the dipping:
- Orange marmalade
- Mango nectar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Red chili
- Butterfly the shrimp and keep the tails on. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, flour, beer, and seasonings. In another bowl, combine shredded coconut and panko.
- Heat oil to 350F. Dip shrimp in batter, shake off excess, and then coat in coconut crumbs. Fry several pieces at a time, until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and serve on the side.