- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 3 teaspoons oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 4 mozzarella slices, 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef, 80/20
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Prepare 3 small bowls for a dredging station. In one bowl, add panko, in the second bowl, add the eggs and in the third bowl add the flour. Add a little water to the bowl with the eggs, and whisk to combine.
- Season all 3 bowls with salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano and garlic powder.
- Heat the canola oil in a shallow pan over medium-high heat. Dip the mozzarella slices into the flour, then into the egg wash and then into the panko. Fry 2 at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt while still hot.
- Divide the ground beef into 2 patties. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat, and cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Assemble your burger! Start with one slice of mozzarella, then add a burger patty, marinara sauce, fresh basil and finish with another fried mozzarella slice.