- 7 oz pretzels
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 - 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup lime juice about 10 limes - depending on the size
- 2 tbsp lime zest
- 6 egg yolks leave aside 2 egg whites for the meringue
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch cornflour
- 200 g / 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ - ½ cup tequila
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 egg whites
- 3 oz / 85 g white sugar, caster sugar is better
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the pretzels and salt in a food processor. Process until they resemble bread crumbs.
- Add melted butter and salt. Pulse until well combined.
- Press these crumbs into the bottom of a long tart tin using the back of a tablespoon.
- Chill the crust in the freezer until completely hardened.
- Place the lime, zest, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, butter, vanilla, tequila, half and half and salt in a large microwave safe bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Whisk and microwave for another 2 minutes, mixing each time until thick.
- Pour into the tart tin.
- Use a small offset spatula or tablespoon to even out before.
- Add fresh lime zest on top before placing in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Place the egg whites into a large bowl and whip to soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar until it’s all in there. Mix on high speed for a couple minutes then add vanilla extract.
- Continue mixing for another 5 minutes until meringue is thick and glossy.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a large open star tip and pipe meringue onto the tart.
- Add fresh lime zest before slicing up and serving.