- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup flavorless oil
- 1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line the bottoms of three 8-inch cake pans or line 24 cups of two muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the egg whites, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the oil and the extracts.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the dry mixture and the milk in two or three alternating batches and mix until just barely combined. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the sprinkles until they're evenly distributed. Distribute the batter among the cake pans or muffin cups, spreading it out evenly if using cake pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Begin checking for doneness at 25 minutes for cakes and 20 minutes for cupcakes.
- Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost the cake or cupcakes as desired and enjoy.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add the salt, extracts and milk, and beat to combine.