Funfetti Mounatin Cupcakes
Take your obsession with Funfetti to new heights with a chocolate cupcake coated high in yummy sprinkles!
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- 175 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 175 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175 milliliters milk
- Funfetti Sprinkles. I use sprinkles from Fancy sprinkles. :0)
- 8 egg whites (room temperature)
- 475 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartare (can use freshly squeezed lemon juice in it's place)
- Place about an inch of water to a medium sized pot and bring it to the boil.
- Add your egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar to a large, clean metal bowl. Mix using a whisk or hand held mixer to help combine all the ingredients.
- Place the bowl with the egg mixture on top of your pot of boiling water making sure the bottom of the mixing bowl doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. Mix on high speed for 5 m l92364500 in or until the sugar in the mixture completely dissolves. You can check this by dipping two (clean) fingers into the mixture and if you can't feel any grains of sugar it's ready to take off the pot. Mix on high speed once you've taken it off the heat (about 5-6 min) until the mixture cools down and gets thick and glossy. You want to reach stiff peaks so that the frosting holds its shape well.
- Please note: You'll want to make the frosting right before you're ready to frost otherwise it goes weird. You can use buttercream for this recipe if you prefer or any kind of frosting you like and spread it on instead of frosting it with a piping bag. The cupcake is designed to be easy enough and fun enough to be made by kids! :0)
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cocoa powder, plain flour, salt, bicarb soda and sugar. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well!(alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter there is no butter visible and it's well incorporated into the dry.
- Next, add milk and eggs in a jug and whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each paper 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with an open star tip and frost a high swirl. Carefully coat in sprinkles or just sprinkle them on and enjoy!